Saturday, July 2, 2011

About that title...

Each day has enough trouble of its own. "We're gonna have to work on that title," says a friend. Well, let me explain. It's from my bible verse memorizin' days. Here goes. From memory:
Consider the lilies of the field. They neither toil nor spin. And yet even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. Don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

So, see? In context, it's sort of a Scarlet thing to say. Tomorrow's gonna be anuthah day. I'm not really a worrier, but I do "get on up in" things. One of my favorite lines from City Slickers:
We'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.
Sometimes I need to be reminded not to borrow trouble.

It's a perspective thing. Telling me to "Whoa, Nellie!" Let's just stay in this little area right here. Today.
When I was first married, I started with my daymares. Like nightmares but wide awake. Sitting at a stoplight. Rough looking man crosses the street. Suddenly he bolts towards my door, reaches for...a gun? I stomp on the gas, through the red light, swerve past cars, a quick left turn,oh wait. He crossed the street. He's sitting at the bus stop.
Or...
We pull up to the gate at St Columba where we lived first ten years of marriage. Ed gets out to unlock the gate. Ruffians jump out from the trees and begin to argue with him. I lay on the horn as I move into the driver's seat and slam the car into gear. Their startled faces turn my way. Oh, wait. That's Ed trying to get in car.
See? Each day has enough trouble of its own. I don't need to add to it! About the time of these daymares, I saw a movie about Corrie Ten Boom. (I actually got to meet her when I was in high school) if you don't know who she is, look her up. She spent time in a concentration camp for hiding Jews during the war. Her book and the movie I saw was called The Hiding Place. I don't remember what she was worrying about, (this was way before the war) but whatever it was,her father told her something like this:
Corrie, when we are going on the train, when do I give you your ticket?
When I'm about to board, Papa.
Well, that's when God will give you your ticket. When it's time.

Of course, that's not really all that reassuring to my children. BOARDING PASSES! WHO HAS THE BOARDING PASSES???
Anyway. Each blogpost has enough trouble of its own.
Now I've just got to figure out what to wear to a wedding in Eureka Springs tonight.

PS Ed just looked up my Bible verse. Apparently I conveniently forgot the part about therefore do not worry about what you will eat or drink or WEAR. Oh, well. The way I see it, that's the great thing about Bible verses. I can take them out of context and use them to mean whatever I want!

I've narrowed it down to 3 dresses....

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, all is explained; thank you. Same as "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof," right? Just didn't catch the translation.

    I think, my friend, that I have the opposite problem---I don't worry enough, and could probably use a bit more foresight!

    Love this blog...

    ReplyDelete