Monday, July 11, 2011

Blogging 101

I don't really know how to do this blogging thing. I don't have much to say that  seems important enough to write down. I have plenty to say, but it falls into one of two categories:
1. It 's VERY colorful, fascinating and interesting, but it's someone else's story. Like the wonderful encounters I had at the wedding in Eureka Springs last weekend. One was a conversation with a mother of a college age student whose friendboy is from another culture. To hear this mom express how much she was learning, how she was growing, how her eyes were opened  through HER relationship with this young man was refreshing. But it's not my story to tell. Likewise, the woman who told me of her adventures flying around the world (literally--it was a PanAm ticket-you couldn't go backwards) in the late 60's? or maybe it was early 70's. I'd really love to tell that one. It's not mine.
2. It IS my story. Then it feels exceedingly egocentric to write about it and put it out there to be read. And it is not bright and colorful.
Here it is anyway.
We've had a good week at home. PriestHusband is getting into the Sabbatical Swing. He has only threatened to go to the monastery once when I listed too many "you need to's". Mostly, he studies in the morning. We've done a little yard work, he's repaired a door, he's pulled the refrigerator out into the middle of the room and left it and his giant tool thingy  on the kitchen table, (still there-part won't be in for a week I'll bet.)Meanwhile I've started and not finished some of my own cleanouts spurred on by the Big CleanOut at my mother's house.
So I am leaving. I'm going tomorrow to Colorado for 3 days. It will be 73 degrees .You may hate me. It is appropriate.
BUT-----while you are hot and hating me, watch a movie.  A Man Named Pearl. It is a documentary  about a 68 year old African American SC man who has created a Dr Suess yard of topiaries using his electric hedge shears. On top of ladders. It is wonderful .Every single character--except maybe the Chamber of Commerce guy, and he is comic relief--is good, kind, genuine, godly and Southern. On Netflix instant. Watch it. It will make you smile.
ALSO---go sometime to Christ Church Compline on Sunday evenings at 6:45. Look for a posting on my facebook page.
The Priest's Wife

1 comment:

  1. Now, you've raised a good question: why blog, indeed? To tell your story, of course. But sometimes "your story" will indeed involve the stories of others, and (within legal limits of slander/libel:):) telling them is fine. Especially if (maybe ONLY if) from their stories you gained an insight, or can extrapolate it to a larger theme. Or if they are too funny not to pass on!

    As for being egocentric---well, what other kinda "centric" is it possible to be? Probably best to get over that and say, in effect, "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" Here's the difference in being an everyday egocentric and a blogging egocentric (that's probably a redundant phrase)---in ordinary life, as we greet friends in the grocery store, or at a party, we are not supposed to talk on and on and ON about "I,I, me,me, my husband/kids/pets"---we must convey our news in very short sound-bites, and always make sure the other person gets at least equal "air-time." If we don't, well, people start avoiding us 'cause we're BORES! Right?

    NOT SO in Bloggerworld---we can spin a tale (about ourselves or another) adding all kinds of details and dialogue, ramble on if we feel like it, and all our "listener" has to do, if bored, offended, or tired, is---*pooofff!* click off and go read or do something else! Or even say aloud (as they could not in vis-a'-vis convo) "This is a load of B.S.!" and roll their eyes.

    So, it's cathartic in that sense. And it's, in the end, an online diary, and a diary can be about whatever you want, be as confessional or gossipy or cynical or current-eventy as you want---because it's yours.

    But, then, a true diary (unless you're Anne Frank, God forbid) is not public. Blogs are. But what not to say for the sake of prudence is pretty obvious. I do admit I include slight slams and inside references on occasion, that only the intended recipient would "get"---but I definitely make it so subtle that it wouldn't do me any harm in a court of law!

    So, why blog? On the other hand, why not? Worked for Samuel Pepys!

    ReplyDelete