Friday, September 2, 2011

A non-opposable thumb and anger management issues....

Or...how much can YOU learn about a person in under 12 seconds?? I think I win.
A little background. I love to play tennis. But not really I married into a tennis family. Well, I married the black sheep. He has the genes, but never really tried. And I have a minimum of hand-eye coordination. I had lessons my 9th grade summer from the maid of cotton. Didn't really stick. Since then, I have tried off and on, but only with family members. Post empty nest, PH and I have played a bit more. Well, we mostly just hit balls for about an hour. But he tells me I am a some better. Not a total embarrassment. But I don't even know how to keep score very well. All those ins and outs. And I have no idea where to go when those balls start coming.
So we get here with our 20 year old tennis racquets ( we usually take his octogenarian parents' castoffs), and there are tennis courts right behind our cottage- through the rainforest.AND they have round robin every other day. Show up and play. PH goes the first day which is totally unfair because I try to exercise all the time and he never does and here he is exercisingandmeetingpeopleandhavingfunandit'snotfair. So the next time he convinces me to go. I miss a lot of balls and i am very nervous, but it is kind of fun. And next time rolls around. It is midday, lots more sun, and I don't want the only other couple who showed last time to feel like they have to endure...you know. PH says he's calling me if I should come (in other words if it is other embarrassingly bad players). Phones don't work great here, so I miss his call. I decide to be bra e and go on over. My plan is to say I'd play if they needed me, otherwise I was going for a run.
When I get there, PH is playing with the good couple from the other day and another pretty good woman. Her husband?? is sitting on the bench. I sit down next to him. Hello. Hello. Well, long story short, by the time they've reorganized the game, he has told me he has anger management issues, more than three mistakes and he will..I dunno he didnt say just what he would do. And now he is my partner and he tells me he used to be left handed but look. That's where they had to surgically reattach my thumb. Did I mention that he was my partner??? I asked him if he got angry when his partner missed shots???? Well, he was a very nice guy and we lost but he didn't yell at me or himself very much. And his thumb stayed on.
But PH know none of this, and he'd been there all along. Amazing.
Today was the Grand Canyon of the Pacific according to Mark Twain. Truly beautiful, but no dolphin experiences. I do have some pictures to share of the goat hunters sign-in sheet.
And we had coconut shrimp at the shrimp station with papaya ginger tartar sauce. True to form, I had to go back to the ordering window and tell them that I didn't even like fried food but that was the best thing I'd had on this island. And by golly, I was gonna write trip advisor about it.
Parcha coladas on the porch. I like this!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You do have an astounding knack for drawing details out of strangers! I don't even know some pertinent details about my own parents...appalling lack of curiosity about others? Tunnel vision? Who knows? You're a better (wo)man than I am, Gunga Din!

    Great storytelling, btw. "And the thumb stayed on" is a classic, deserving of entering our phrase-lexicon right along with "and they lived happily ever after"!!:):)

    ReplyDelete