Thursday, August 25, 2011

Paradise Found

We have been here in Hawaii for 3 days now.
Day one: get off the plane, call our questionable car rental guy ( who is at the police station and thinks we are coming the next day), pull out the trusty iPad and see if we need to make some different arrangements, questionable guy shows up and is really a nice guy who rents some questionable cars. No, it is a fine car, just one that would have been retired some time back by the ordinary rental folk.
Anyway...
Head to Poipu, stopping for a tasty lunch of fish sandwiches, a quick grocery and wine purchase, and...there we are. Our cottage is a bit cabin-y.built probably in the 20's for the workers. So delightful. It makes me think of those old beach homes up on the east coast. The ones that I've never been to.
Ed calls the 90 yr old priest (Mal) whose cottage this is. They've left us some apple bananas, a smaller version than we have at home. We check out our beach and settle in. On Mal's suggestion we stroll down to the sports bar at the end of our lane. Sports bar you say???? Me, too. I was none too thrilled but hungry. We walk in....lots of tvs but no sound. Yes!!! Bob marley is playing. Even better. And at the corner table sit Mal ( a dead ringer for the russ we all know and love at St M) and Mo, his 90 yr old wife. We had never met them, but knew right away who they were. We introduced ourselves, joined them, ordered seared ahi tacos and a Mai ti. It was delightful.
Day 2:
Started with anearly early morning wall to a site supposedly good for sunrise. PH refused to get back in the car, so we walked. Knew to turn on a street that began with A. We did but it was the bypass.wrong street beginning with A. Most streets around here the speed limit is 25 at best. It was 45. Oh well it was a nice walk. But I was right. We needed to drive. Lunch back at the sports bar..still not prepared to cook, need to figure out our shopping options a bit. Beach time, then we hit the farmer's market. We got some nice vegetables, still no fruit. Where is all this great tropical fruit??? I want to do my part for the local foods , but I'm having difficulty finding it. We ask the one farmer girl I'd talked to most where we might find good cheese. She directs us to the fancy schmancy whole foods type store. We do buy some cheese. And I buy some very expensive fish. I now know where to go (Koloa fish market) but for one night, I went with local food ,but local with all my mainland comforts surrounding it. And it was delicious! Opa I think. Cooked with some butter garlic and ginger.
Day 3 we had a little breakfast and headed down the road IN THE CAR to the early morning beach. Once we turned on the dirt road with potholes that could hold our potholes inside of themselves, we drove about two miles. And there it was. Paradise. A curve of sandy beach, big volcanic or whatever you call em cliffs, pine??? Trees along the edge, and No One!! We walked, found Sawyer's hut ( Lost fans??) had a swim, then hiked across treacherous pointy lava things to an even more deserted beach. I could soo be the Swiss family Robinson. Came back home, showered, lunch, naps. Then PH got ready to go play tennis. He had left his shoes at the beach. And I haven't even told you about the saga of getting some decent water shoes for him. It is a little bit of a touchy subject. Maybe not blog material. We'll see. So now he is wearing MY shoes. Yes little petite PH can wear my tennis shoes. No comments.
Oh, yeah. Forgot to say we went to the fancy scmancy farmer's market yesterday. I am all for supporting local farmers.... I paid $8 for local eggs-- but the $12 pineapple did me in.I bought one at the grocery. For$4. But I do hope to go to dinner one night at a farm to table restaurant. Sounds fabulous.
Meanwhile...I'll let you know if PH wins. My shoes are mighty lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment